Saturday 21 September 2013

Pelagoes, Crete

I've been rather absent recently sunning myself in Crete. But have no fear, I was keeping my eye out for some tasty treats throughout the two weeks that I was away. Amongst the site seeing and snoozing on the beach, I did my fair bit of eating!

Our holiday rep let us into a few sneaky treats when she climbed up into the hills to visit us (luckily we had a car and I only had to walk up that hill once, an experience I will be forever scarred from!)
Her recommended restaurant was one that the owner of our villa owned, and she was certainly right to recommend it to us!

Pelagoes, was a small restaurant hide in the back roads of the town. With it’s over grown garden with hanging lanterns and mis-matched furniture, it was the best spot for one our first nights out. Not only , but the free wine and little bread basket was the perfect welcoming! Our very friendly waiter showed us to our table asking us about our holiday and where we'd been.





We started with a little bit of everything, Fava, Zucchini and Dill fritters, Kefta, Cheese Souvaliki, all freshly made and was so delicious I failed to take a picture! (Very bad blogger I know!) Zucchini did become my staple diet for an evening meal! Our mains where equally as good!

I had grilled octopus, with grilled aubergines and peppers, it was the best octopus that I have ever had! The parental ones both had the fish grill with sword fish, mussels, octopus cuttlefish and rice and grilled vegetables. I had this on our second visit and the fish was perfectly cooked!


The owner of our villa came to see us and gave us free fruit with melon and grapes! Later found out that this was the general thing in Greek restaurants.

Overall the food and staff were friendly and helpful, the atmosphere was equally as lovely with a little guitar man in the corner it was the perfect setting for a family meal or dinner for two.

It was so good we went back again! I would definitely recommend it to anyone staying in or around Agios Nikolaos.

No comments:

Post a Comment